Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Rain

Last night it poured and today it drizzled. But it was a good day, and spent seemingly getting nothing done...a lot of waiting it seemed. And it seems the winds has gotten pretty strong over the past few days. Looking at my utility bill, it seems as though a rough average of usage is approximately 18kwh per day, or 750 watts per hour (if my logic is correct). To me this seems high as most of the day is nothing more than the 'fridge and water heater running. But I guess things add up, and then I have the hogs (ie, dryer and electric heat and occasional fan).

Simple windmills can be created for virtually nothing. Here is a neat version I came across tonight called the Chispito. Problem with this is that this generates DC and I will need alternating current to feed into the grid.

These are just my rambling thoughts pouring on to paper, as I hear the strong wind consistently blowing out of the southwest. I am sure you will (or may not) hear more about this as things evolve. I just think its odd that we have all this free energy out there, yet no one wants to offset there costs because of economics. I wonder why we don't take these ROI calculations into consideration on all the useless crap we buy and clutter our lives with?

No comments: