Saturday, January 3, 2009

Lazing

Although I love work, I too realize the importance of breaking away from it, such as I did last week when I pulled the plug on my computer for a few days in California. Even coming home though, I felt that my company had imploded without me being a mere phone call away, or without monitoring e-mails with regularity.

But everything went smartly in my absence, and I realize two things: The first was that I really am not important as I think I am, and with reasonable planning, I can disappear for a few days. The next was the value of getting away from being dialed in constantly, and the benefit of stepping away from the play to become rejuvenated.

In the grand scheme of things, the short time that I am on this planet is so insignificant that I am amazed how seriously I take many things. I picked up this book at the library yesterday and it made me realize the value in appreciating my time right now that I have to enjoy my life, as well as the fact that I am lucky - in spite of my hectic schedule - that I am really have more free time than I believe. The problem is, working from home I always have no segregation of work versus leisure, so they have a tendency to taint one another.

I need to be more concentrated and compartmentalized in my work, and truly enjoy the free time I so cherish. And as this book points out, I need to pursue activities of passion and vigor, versus just embracing activities that occupy my free time. And I think I do this rather effectively, although working with an emerging company also demands the time that I realized it would. That's all I have to say today. Time to get ready to go to reggae night at the Wild Buffalo.

No comments: