Monday, January 5, 2009

Mondays

I've come to the realization that I need an extra hour of sleep in the winter months. During the summer, I get virtually no sleep. But in the winter, my body changes gears and I find that I am much more lethargic and have difficulty rolling out of bed at 8:00am, then 8:10, then 8:20, and I can usually rationalize one more snooze to take me to 8:30. And besides, after the heinous acts the US conducts or supports around the globe, it's always nice to wake up to the Canadian news from BC.

Not that the Canadians are saints, but overall a much less violent and angry population. I've read where the Canadians own more guns per capita than US residents, but seem to be able to solve their problems without resorting to killing one another.

And as I sit here looking forward to my post-moonlighting-gig Mrs. Fields Ice Cream Sandwich, I glance at the ingredients to see that it contains High Fructose Corn Syrup. Ack! I would not be surprised if things like HFCS wipe out our species in a few generations. I've read it has never been tested by the FDA, but is used in virtually everything (unless you are watchful): soda, bread, candies, ice cream - basically anything with a tinge of sweetening. You do not need to look to far to find out how bad it is for you. And although sucrose is metabolised by every cell in the body, HFCS is only metabolised by the liver. I've read that one's liver (of a diet high in HFCS) has similar fatty deposits not much different than that of an advanced alcoholic.

But fortunately you can go to the HFCS trade group's web site and be comforted by the fact HFCS is a marvel of science and all those granola-crunching liberal scientists just hate freedom and America and eating food that tasted good. I avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup like the plague.

The picture aboive is Cornwall Avenue near the park on a day sunnier than today.

No comments: