Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Highway

This picture was taken today en route from work. This is part of the bike trail that runs all through Bellingham and past the house. In the background is the Canadian Coast Range. Straight ahead is Squalicum Harbour and one o'clock is is downtown and my home (about two miles away).

It was quite cold on the way in but nice on the way home. It is days like these that I thank a god for how lucky I am not to be wrapped in a cage of steel and plastic bitching about how bad traffic is getting and the price of gas.

I feel it is colder than it actually is as I have turned the heat down for a few days to the low-50's, which I am on the verge of deeming just too cold for comfort. I've also also set my computer's thermometer to Celsius, so it shows -2*C, which is actually around 29*F. Living on the edge in Bellingham, I tell ya'.

I plugged the heat strip in last night, as these houses were built rather thinly (for a coalminer in 1928) and never seems to get warm. (Some of the pipes underneath the crawlspace are heat tape wrapped.) Or I am just too cheap to turn some heat on. But the seasons will soon be turning.

No comments: